Recipe: Light Pasta
If you're having friends over for dinner, have some time to spare to put together a nice meal, or just want to eat something warm and comforting give this recipe a try. Prep time takes a bit longer than usual if you are going to make the pasta sauce yourself. If you're planning on buying the sauce rather than making it choose the option with the lowest sodium and lowest sugar.
For the pasta you will need a vegetable spiraliser, if you don't have one at your disposal you can create flat 'noodles' by using a mandolin slicer.
- 3 zucchinis (washed)
- 1 eggplant (washed, and then sliced into small pieces)
- 300g mushrooms (washed and sliced into thin pieces)
- 400g butter beans (you can wash the fresh kind, I used canned)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6-8 tomatoes (peeled and seeded)
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 bay leaf (remove when done)
- Pour olive oil into a large pot over a medium heat on your stovetop.
- Add onions and garlic and cook onions through
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients to the pot and simmer on a low heat for approximately 2 hours, until it is darker in colour
Method (everything else)
- After your pasta sauce is finished (if you chose to cook it) place a skillet on medium heat with 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- Place mushrooms, butter beans and eggplant into the skillet
- When the mushrooms/eggplant/beans are starting to look cooked pour your pasta sauce over the top of them, turn the stovetop down to a low heat and allow it to simmer for another 15 minutes
- While they are cooking boil some water in a kettle
- While the water is boiling take your vegetable spiraliser and spiralise your zucchinis into long 'spaghetti' pieces and place them all into a heat-proof bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the zucchini and allow them to cook in the water until your mushrooms/eggplant/beans are finished cooking
- Remove the mushrooms/eggplant/beans from the heat, and then drain your zucchinis
- Serve together!