So you just read the heading and you’re thinking, “God damn it Beau, not another pun!!” Yes, I know….. and there are more to come so get used to it! This blog post is pretty much a run down of the supplements I use my self and that are essential for balancing out your body and helping it get the energy and boost it needs. Lets start:
- Protein is one of the macronutrients in the body that provides us with energy along with carbohydrates and fats.
- Protein is essential for helping the muscles recover and grow so you can gain lean muscle mass and repair tissue to become stronger. The average recommended dietary allowance for adults is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
- Before we get in to the supplementation side of things protein can be found in many food sources such as: lean meats (chicken breast, lean beef, kangaroo), eggs, dairy (cheese, milk, yoghurt), fish, lentils, and spirulina to name a few. These guys are important in a balanced diet, but when it comes to training and a busy lifestyle taking a protein powder can be a reliable and easy way to get your protein fix.
- There are 2 types of proteins that you need to consume through out a training program: isolates and casein.
- Isolates are a faster synthesising protein that absorbs better directly after a work out. Isolate whey protein is 90% protein and is separated from its base component, water and is lactose free and low in carbs and fat.
- Casein is your slower releasing protein which is commonly found in cows milk and makes up 80% of its content. Best used through out the day as a meal replacement and also when you want to make protein treats. Casein is better used for throughout the day and before bed. There are many blends of protein that have both isolate and casein, plus other amino acids for ultimate recovery and best efficiency, For people who are scared of getting fat or to big stay away from the “bulking” proteins. Extra carbs have been added and best used for ectomorphs who need the extra energy.
- Check out the Evolve range of proteins from our friends at ASN.
- The market for pre works outs have exploded and with many different natural and synthetic products on the shelves it makes it hard to choose what’s the best for you and what is going to get the job done.
- Pre work out supplements help you achieve a higher focus, boost of energy and maintain strength and power during a training session. Imagine that these are a cocktail of vitamins, extracts and amino acids. Usually a lot of products will get banned because they are deemed illegal and taken of the shelves, mainly because its legal speed. I don’t recommend taking a pre work out when starting off a training program, healthy nutrition timing (having the right healthy foods at the right time) and a thermo supplement can boost results with out making you feel like you have just stepped in to a nightclub ;).
- With the high you get from taking a “pre” you can also experience a “crash”, I know some nights after training I have just sat in the corner of a shower because I feel absolutely terrible. Sleep is disrupted, and energy levels can still be pretty high, so take at your own risk.
- Some Pre Work Outs I have used in the past are: BPM Labs – The One 2., Lecheek Nutrition CRANK! Prototype II, USP Labs USP Labs Jack3d Micro.
- I love these, they are a staple in my life, most people use coffee to get them up in the morning, I use “thermos”.
- The effects from thermos are energy boost, focus, appetite suppressing and fat burning. They acts as a diuretic and help with bowel functionality aswell. Fat Burners (or Thermogenic Fat Burners) can increase the body's temperature enabling the body's ability to burn calories as heat; to be used as energy, thereby preventing them from being stored a fat.
- Effective thermogenic supplements are those that contain key ingredients that create or support a fat burning 'thermogenic' environment by working together & in synergy. Some of these ingredients also aid in reducing appetite & spiking an increase in short-term energy. Such common ingredients are: garcinia cambogia, green tea extract, guarana extract, cayenne.
- Thermogenic Fat burner supplements are the most commonly used fat loss products in the sports, bodybuilding & fitness arena today & stack well with other fat loss supplements including CLA or L-Carnitine. Fat loss supplements are highly effective and are best cycled for optimal benefit.
So these are the 3 most common types of supplements used in the fitness industry at the moment. I will be doing a part 2 which will include: BCAA, creatine, CLA, and more.
Check out the supplements we have available HERE.