Recipe: Twix Bites
This is my second attempt at making these guys and they finally turned out the way I wanted! I managed to eat one this morning, because I know that by tonight Beau will have probably stolen all of them haha. Such a good little treat.
Makes 12 servings
(per 1) Carbs 44g / Fat 18g / Protein 4g / Calories 337
- 1.5 cups macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (I guess any flour will do if you *must* but I find this one works best)
- 20 pitted dates
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 block of dark chocolate (over 70%)
- In a food processor, or blender if you're game take the macadamias and process them until they are ground up, then add the coconut nectar, vanilla bean paste and tapioca flour and process for a minute or so longer.
- Take an ice cube tray and scoop out the mix to fill up 3/4 of each tray segment, then pop this into the freezer for an hour.
- Next throw the dates in the food processor with the almond butter and water, this works best if you've already cut the dates in half. Process until smooth.
- Remove the bites from the freezer and fill up the rest of the tray segments (on top of the base) with the 'caramel' layer. Place back in the freezer for an hour.
- Melt some dark chocolate in a bowl whatever way works best for you. I like to heat a metal bowl over a pot on the stove and stir it around until it's melted.
- Once the chocolate is melted remove the bites from the freezer. To take them out of the tray it's easiest if you run a knife along the edges to separate them and then 'stab' them with a fork so that you can hold onto them without actually touching them with your hands.
- With the bite on the fork quickly dip each side into the melted chocolate and then place it onto a plate. Repeat for all the bites.
- Place them in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours. Best served very cold.