Recipe: Choc Caramel Protein Slice
So lately I've had to increase my protein intake, and I always like to find more interesting ways to do that, because I get bored of most protein supplements... and then I found this amazing thing, protein custard. I popped into ASN Brisbane pick mine up. It's a casein powder that turns into a custard when mixed with water, mine was caramel flavoured, and it gave me an idea... If I put less water, maybe the caramel will be more like fudge, and maybe, just maybe, I can make a protein slice. Well it worked! This is great as a dessert or a healthier treat.
Makes 12 servings
(per 1) Carbs 85.1g / Fat 22.8g / Protein 18.1g / Calories 385.4
- 2 cups cashews
- 1.5 cups pitted dates
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 10 scoops of Gentec Casein Custard
- 330g dark chocolate (80% if you can get it) - this is roughly a block and a half
- 30g pistachios
- Coconut oil (for greasing baking pan)
- Preheat oven to 175C
- Combine all base ingredients (except rice malt syrup) in a food processor until the cashews have broken down into small crumbs
- Remove ingredients from the food processor and place into a bowl
- Add the rice malt syrup and stir it through until the ingredients are combined
- Take an 8" baking pan, if you have one, and using a piece of paper towel lightly grease the tray with coconut oil
- Spoon the base ingredients into the pan and press down firmly until the whole base is covered
- Place the pan into the oven for 20 minutes
- Remove the pan from the oven and while it is cooling start to mix up your protein custard. To do this take the 10 scoops (there is a scoop in the container) and place them into a bowl, slowly begin to add water to the protein powder and continuously stir it. You want it to be a very thick consistency (if you've seen whipped peanut butter before it should start to look like that).
- Once the protein custard has reached your desired consistency pour it over the top of the base layer (still in the tray) and then place it into your freezer for an hour.
- While the pan is in the freezer melt your dark chocolate and cut up 30g of pistachios
- After the hour of setting in the freezer is complete take the pan out and pour a thin layer of melted dark chocolate over the top
- Sprinkle pistachios over the top of the melted chocolate
- Place it back in the freezer overnight before serving
- Store in the fridge or freezer.